Brief about establishment
The QFMA was established under the Law No. 33 of 2005 regarding the establishment of Qatar Financial Markets Authority and transfer Doha Securities Market (DSM) (QSE currently) to Qatari Shareholding Company to regulate and supervise the financial markets in Qatar by taking all the supervisory and regulatory powers needed to exercise its functions under this law.
The QFMA officially undertook its responsibility on September of 2007, where the market, the listed companies and financial services companies were informed that the official functions of supervision and regulation were transferred from the market to the Authority after such functions were with the market for the last 10 years.
To keep up with developments in the financial markets, Law No. (8) of 2012 was issued regarding Qatar Financial Markets Authority and entered into effect on October 18th of 2012 to replace the repealed law No. (33) of 2005.
- Advancement of Qatari capital markets to serve as a model for financial services.
- Investor’s protection, maintenance of Qatari capital markets’ stability, integrity and transparency; and development of proficiency and knowledge to enhance the growth and diversity of the national economy.
- Regulate, control and supervise the financial markets..
- Regulate the dealing of the securities activities with fairness, competitiveness and transparency.
- Raise public awareness of securities activities and promote in securities’ investment and development.
- Monitor the investors’ dealing rules governing activities related to trading of securities and other type.
- Implement disclosure policy in order to achieve fairness, transparency and prevent conflict of interests and internal information exploitation.
- Combat the causes of crimes related to the financial markets.
- Enhance liaison, communication and information exchange with foreign financial markets, and regional and international regulators, organizations and institutions to benefit from their dealing methodologies in order to develop the financial markets within the State of Qatar.
- Conduct studies, collect information and compile statistics on the financial markets’ activities and publish relevant reports.